Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

26 Sep, 2023
2023-9-26 3:29:23 PM UTC

zionius wrote:

Does "offset" suggest they'll use the earliest text instead of the revised one?

That is my understanding.
26 Sep, 2023
2023-9-26 3:37:48 PM UTC
I’ve only the larger three-volume set but as these are now getting a illustrated dust wrapper, I may now buy some single volumes.
26 Sep, 2023
2023-9-26 3:38:53 PM UTC

Worth noting if you are in the UK...

• We are running an Autumn Flash Sale from this Friday 29th September to midnight on Sunday 1st October. You can get 30% off EVERYTHING on the HarperCollins website. To activate the discount, you just need to add code AUTUMN30 at checkout. We offer free delivery on all orders over £25. Please note, we only ship to the UK & Ireland.
26 Sep, 2023
2023-9-26 3:48:38 PM UTC
Was just thinking about one thing :
If the jackets are double-sided, they might not line-up exactly with the matte-finish dustjacket series of books, because books titles are embossed.
We have indeed the reverse of the embossing on the rear side. I'm a bit doubtful about this.

What do you think?
26 Sep, 2023
2023-9-26 3:58:29 PM UTC

Emilien wrote:

If the jackets are double-sided, they might not line-up exactly with the matte-finish dustjacket series of books, because books titles are embossed.
We have indeed the reverse of the embossing on the rear side. I'm a bit doubtful about this.

What do you think?

Hmmm, that's a good thought. I would assume that these books will have flat DJs in that case.
26 Sep, 2023
2023-9-26 4:08:52 PM UTC

onthetrail wrote:

Emilien wrote:

What do you think?

Hmmm, that's a good thought. I would assume that these books will have flat DJs in that case.
They have no other choice. But this is the beginning of an endless discussion about them not matching the ongoing series
Frankly, they could have produced two different states of boxsets, one with JH jackets, and another with 'classic' jackets.
26 Sep, 2023 (edited)
2023-9-26 4:09:54 PM UTC
A must buy for me. Don't have the single volumes, so really a no brainer.

Yes another version of the Silmarillion!
26 Sep, 2023
2023-9-26 4:33:25 PM UTC

Emilien wrote:

They have no other choice. But this is the beginning of an endless discussion about them not matching the ongoing series
Frankly, they could have produced two different states of boxsets, one with JH jackets, and another with 'classic' jackets.
The embossing on the current style is very light and subtle on some titles (especially the more recently released ones IMO), so I'm not sure how much discussion there will be -- though obviously there will be some, because there's always some type of controversy/discussion on every release :D

I'll personally display mine with the John Howe art, as I've been hoping for a hardback release using it for ages but I do appreciate the fact that HC is doing something different and offering the reversible DJ with the classic design on it.

I assume part of the reason for not doing two separate boxsets with the different designs is to avoid competing sales (though I'm sure there would be some people who picked up both versions) and having a "lower" sold count for each of the sets as opposed to the larger sold count for a single SKU. Probably part of the reason why it appears that we're not getting a matching Deluxe edition.
26 Sep, 2023
2023-9-26 4:36:23 PM UTC

Lake Town Geezer wrote:

A must buy for me. Don't have the single volumes, so really a no brainer.

Yes another version of the Silmarillion!
Another version of Unfinished Tales too.

Artwork on the spine looks a little different from the current UT offering (plus the text is different), so I assume they'll be using John's Ulmo, Lord of the Waters artwork here.
26 Sep, 2023
2023-9-26 5:37:24 PM UTC
Damn.

When I began reading Tolkien I didn't think that one day he'd be such a big part of my annual budget planning.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us