Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

1 May
2024-5-1 2:47:26 PM UTC
Indeed, though I didn’t want to approach that bridge 🙈

Also, The Complete Guide to Middle-earth, and The Fall of Numenor.
1 May (edited)
2024-5-1 3:13:32 PM UTC

Gerryt wrote:

Will this have the same content as the Folio Society edition released previously ?
and I also enquired about the printer.

• We are indeed printing at Graphicom, and this new edition will feature newly created paintings and illustrations in addition to the portfolio printed in the Folio Society’s set of books.
1 May
2024-5-1 3:34:50 PM UTC
That all sounds pretty terrific :) thanks for asking
1 May
2024-5-1 3:40:42 PM UTC
I was hoping that HarperCollins was going to go with Rotolito again so I could hard pass on this....
1 May
2024-5-1 3:52:10 PM UTC
I don't have a deluxe modern Rings, in fact I don't have any deluxe Rings and while I am not a collector in the traditional sense, I think that this is the one that suits me.

I hope that the artwork is sourced from a high resolution stock, which will be the stumbling block for me. If it is the same as the current later HarperCollins editions then it would be returned in an instant. I expect the artwork to be of high quality for the price.
1 May
2024-5-1 3:54:41 PM UTC
My only ‘special’ copy of Rings (and some could argue that it’s not: I just find it nice) is the Alan Lee 1-book from 2014.

It’s also special - in a sense - that no other titles match it, in size and design.
1 May
2024-5-1 4:00:14 PM UTC

onthetrail wrote:

I don't have a deluxe modern Rings, in fact I don't have any deluxe Rings and while I am not a collector in the traditional sense, I think that this is the one that suits me.

I hope that the artwork is sourced from a high resolution stock, which will be the stumbling block for me. If it is the same as the current later HarperCollins editions then it would be returned in an instant. I expect the artwork to be of high quality for the price.

I too expect the artwork to be of high quality and well reproduced for the price. HarperCollins better have eyes on the QC at the printers because if the artwork is poorly reproduced it will be difficult for them to come back from in the eyes of the consumer, I suspect.
1 May
2024-5-1 4:05:29 PM UTC
That’s what we initially thought with the Author Illustrated deluxe LotR debacle, but folks kept on pre-ordering each new slipcased edition anyway….

Luckily, ever since the AI deluxe Silmarillion, they seemed to have wisened up in their deluxe releases.
1 May
2024-5-1 4:20:48 PM UTC

Scarlet_Sorcerer wrote:

That’s what we initially thought with the Author Illustrated deluxe LotR debacle, but folks kept on pre-ordering each new slipcased edition anyway….

Luckily, ever since the AI deluxe Silmarillion, they seemed to have wisened up in their deluxe releases.

What makes you think that luck had any part to play in that?
1 May
2024-5-1 4:26:14 PM UTC

Scarlet_Sorcerer wrote:

I've been critical of HC before for the Deluxe Illustrated by the Author editions, so I think it's only fair to give them credit for recognizing that there were issues with LOTR and Silm, so they switched printers for The Hobbit. That resulted in far fewer issues (off the top of my head I don't recall seeing any significant ones) and also (in my opinion) resulted in a higher quality production. I think Illustrated by the Author "Hobbit" was the most well-produced of the three (even though I didn't like the booklet coming in the box). So I think HC deserves credit for listening to the complaints and addressing them.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us