Lot 330

Auction Ends Thu, 11 Jul 2024 6:00 PM GMT

Lot330.jpg

Description:

4 volumes. each copy of the trilogy with folding map at rear. (8vo) original cloth, illustrated dust jackets. The trilogy is housed together in a black cloth slipcase with paper label. Various printings. Comprises:

• The Hobbit or There and Back Again. Illustrated by the author, including map endpapers. Second American Edition,19th printing.
  • The Fellowship of the Ring. First American Edition,14th printing.
  • The Two Towers. First American Edition,11th printing.
  • The Return of the King. First American Edition,11th printing.
  • Also present is "J.R.R. Tolkien: Hobbits, Orcs, Ents, Dragons," a folding bibliographical pamphlet, presenting "a selective multi-media approach to available materials covering all sides of the controversy over the enormous popularity of J.R.R. Tolkien's works." Compiled by L.M. Maxwell. Henrico County Public Library, 1969.

The Hobbit is signed in black ink on the title page by J.R.R. Tolkien. Additionally, a typed sheet is laid in, reading, "7th June, 1967. // With Professor Tolkien's compliments." The sheet is additionally blind stamped with Tolkien's home address, "76, Sandfield Road, Headington, Oxford." Each volume of the Lord of the Rings Trilogy is signed in black ink by Tolkien at the half-title. The consigner of the volumes worked as a children's librarian, and the books were a birthday gift from coworkers. The consigner states, " I was a rather brush young man, and I decided I would send them off to England and ask if I could get them autographed by Professor Tolkien. I looked up an address for him and sent them off, hoping for the best. And the best happened. He signed them and his secretary sent them back and they’ve been with me for 60 years." A rare full set of the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings Trilogy signed by Tolkien, with an additional typed note from his desk.

Condition:
Some wear and scuffing to slipcase with some foxing to interior; light wear to jackets with mild toning to edges, occasional areas of faint foxing at edges and flap folds, small tear to top edge of the front panel of the Hobbit jacket, small areas of insect damage to Two Towers jacket spine; the trilogy jackets are price-clipped (the Hobbit is not); cloth with light rubbing to edges, light bump to top corner of front board of Two Towers; some foxing to text block edges, occasional light spotting to preliminary pages and map versos; each volume of the trilogy with gift inscription to the consignor from coworkers; all volumes very good or better.

Estimate: USD15,000 - USD 25,000
Current Bid: USD 7,500

https://pbagalleries.com/lot-details/i ... search%2F%3Fkey%3Dtolkien